Today, we’re going to look at the Desi Arnaz Stakes, a 7-furlong sprint for 2YO fillies from Del Mar. Like last week’s feature race (Bob Hope), it’s the 5th race on the card — pivotal to ending the P5 (for those who play, you don’t need to use the information here). 2YO don’t neccesarily have the same traits are their older sisters — they tend to more reliable and more able to make surface switches. With that in mind, let’s look at the 6 entrants in field
- Steph Being Steph — son of Majestic Warrior is likely reference to Steph Curry. She has some very nice races –coming off the pace in her maiden and a held at bay while second in a prior stakes race. But altogether this horse seems a notch below this level right now.
- Ms Bad Behavior: Baltas, who is sending us fit horses, sends out a very fast maiden winner. This is 4th start — conditions could be much better than these animals to repeat his speed figure.
- Midnight Bisou: William Spawr is a great trainer, especially of fillies and mares The sample size is small for 2YO’s. Ran fast first time out, even although still a maiden.Wish this were here 3rd race in the cycle. Still, One to watch the price.
- Smiling Tigress: Too slow and doesn’t have an early speed advantage. No reason to bet this horse.
- Secret Spice: A strong maiden win but much slower in a sprint stakes. Has ben running, but too slow to win here.
- Dream Tree: Bob Baffert $750K purchase this past March. Won on debut with impressive numbers.
While it’s hard not to be swayed by a Baffert, I’d rather get the condition of Ms Bad Behavior in this race. So, it’s Ms Bad Behavior as the pick.