Race of the Day, June 12
Delaware Park, Race 7, 3:50 P.M. 6f, Dashing Beauty Stakes, 3 and Up, Fillies & Mares, Purse: $50K
Off the turf at Delaware, so I’ll be covering the 7th race, an overnight stakes for sprinting fillies and mares on the dirt. The 5 and the 7 are scratched. Here’s what you need to know:
- This is a particularly deep field for a weekday feature at Delaware who has an average field size of under seven runners. Bigger fields can typically (but not always) yield better opportunities, despite the added risk.
- Geeky Gorgeous (#10, 7/2) is a lukewarm favorite. A NJ-bred, she’s been tearing up open company at Monmouth. She’s love this distance, but is taking her show on the road to another speed-favoring track in Delaware Park. She’s a presser — a good style here – and should get a good pace.
- She’s Ordained (#9, 9/2) is stakes-winner sprinting mare. She’s been a tad less competitive lately and it’s possible she’s lost a step.
- Quiet Hour (#6, 10-1) has been a monster since finding a fast dirt track (3 for 4 lifetime). This lightly raced filly moves into the Navarro barn and rates an solid chance.
- There are several horses who will gun for the lead. Clear Pasaj (#4, 12-1), Crazy About Me (#1, 6-1) and Wardelle (#8, 15-1) comprise this group. The two scratches were also frontrunners, so there was some concern about too much pace.
- How does Geeky Gorgeous fare outside of the Garden State? She’s the best on paper, but there always new track risk (even though the profiles are mostly similar).
- Has She’s Ordained lost a step? On the top of her game, she’s a strong contender. Make sure you get an appropriate price.
- How does Quiet Hour respond to the new barn, and can she keep her top form?
- Can Ms. Cruisen’ (#11, 15-1) put together a top lifetime performance? She looks like she’s sitting on a big one, but it would have to be huge.
- Crazy About Me: 8/1
- Papa’s Forest: 20/1
- Galiana: 30/1
- Clear Pasaj: 15/1
- Quiet Hour: 6/1
- Wardelle: 20/1
- She’s Ordained: 8/1
- Geeky Gorgeous: 4/1
- Ms. Cruisen: 10/1
What I’m thinking of betting:
Geeky Gorgeous stands out on paper and, with some other contenders, I’d like to see her price rise to 4/1. If she’s a heavy favorite (say 8/5), I’d try to beat her, likely with a split win bet between Quiet Hour and Ms. Cruisen.
Tune in @alldayracing for live coverage starting at about 1:45 p.m.!